Antioch Baptist Church to Brewton Baptist Church
Antioch Baptist Church
Antioch Baptist Church was constituted in 1916 with Mr. Emmett M. Knight as clerk. The building was constructed that year from land given by Mr. Tom Wilkins with the two front doors with a window between them. Behind the pulpit were double windows, and curtains partitioned the Sunday school rooms. In April 1929 a tornado tore down the home of Mr. Knight, who had stored the church records at his home, with the result that there are no historical accounts of the activities during those years.
Baker Baptist Church
Baker Baptist Church had its beginning in the spring of 1904 when a group of men, consisting of Reverend Jordan Hobbs, P.E. Grinstead, A.O. Floyd and Dean Couey, met to pick the land for a building. The place selected was given by Reverend Hobbs. Men in the community constructed the building. Until 1907 a school was held in the building, but when laws were passed concerning the separation of church and state the church closed.
Bethesda Baptist Church
The first pastor of Bethesda Baptist Church was Reverend H.L. Maddox. The church organized in 1838, and a log house was built for it on the McDaniel place in the Browning settlement. The next house was a frame building on the Dixon place near a spring, built in 1880. This was burned, but rebuilt in 1888. Four years later the church was moved and a large, white-painted frame building was constructed.
Bethlehem Baptist Church
The second oldest church in Laurens County now active is Bethlehem Baptist Church, which has maintained exceptionally good records of its activities since it was established on June 9, 1821. Thirteen people were given letters from the Buckeye Baptist Church at that time for the purpose of establishing a church at “the Fork Road Meeting Place,” four miles east of Dublin on the River Road leading from Milledgeville to Darien, via the Blackshear Ferry.
Bethsaida Baptist Church
On July 7, 1888, Bethsaida Baptist Church was organized with the following charter members: A.J. Hilbun, Jerry Y. Lee, John W. Horn, John N. Brown, Samuel Charters, Henry M. Burch, John L. Pharis, John C. Register, Brancy B. Horn, Mary Etta Brown, Eliza R. Burch, Frances C. Pharis, Carrie A. Charters, and Eliza Scarborough. The presbytery consisted of Reverend Charlton B. Smith, Reverend James T. Smith, and Reverend John Dupree. The first pastor was Reverend John A. Clark. The first building was erected in 1889.
Find Them Online
Blue Springs Baptist Church
Blue Springs Baptist Church, established in 1875, is located in Rockledge district. The eleven charter members were Mr. and Mrs. Jim White, Mrs. Morning Graham, Miss Smithy White, Mr. and Mrs. Tom Winham, Mr. and Mrs. J.B. Williams, Mr. and Mrs. John Branch, and Mr. John White. The first pastor was Rev. L.J. Harrison, and the first building occupied and dedicated by the church was in 1897 on land given by John Smith.
Find Them Online
Bluewater Baptist Church
On Monday, April 9th, 1838, twelve Christian men and women met to organize a church. They were Davis Joiner, Marfra Hudson, John Woodard, Mary Hudson, Laura Ann Hudson, Dillion Grinstead, Polly Ann Warren, and Mary Woodard. Their first meeting day was on Saturday before the third Sunday, April 14, 1838. The Rev. L.B. Lee was called as the first pastor. Two deacons were elected, John Woodard and Davis Joiner, the latter being elected the church clerk.
Brewton Baptist Church
It was around 1890 that a small frame church was build in Brewton in which both the Baptists and the Methodists worshipped: it was called the Union Church, and it was here that the Brewton Baptist Church was constituted in 1891 with eleven charter members and the Rev. J.G. Bush was chosen as pastor. A lot was purchased and construction begun “at the junction point of Brewton-Pineora and the Wrightsville-Tennille Railroad,” but before the framework was completed, a storm blew it down, and another site was selected, a lot on College Street across from the schoolhouse. In 1898 the new structure was completed, and dedication services were held.