Marie Baptist Church to New Direction Baptist Church
Marie Baptist Church
When the community that is now known as Marie decided to build a schoolhouse, Captain L.C. Perry was contacted on July 19, 1886 about selling land for the building. He consented with the provision that the building also be used for worship and that the school would be named for his daughter Marie. This was agreed to and the school, church, and community received this name. During the summer of 1899 Rev. R.E. Neighbor, Pastor of First Baptist Church, came to Marie in the afternoon to preach in the building, then he would return to Dublin to his own church in the evening. On September 14, 1889, a Church was organized with 27 charter members, most of who came from Poplar Springs.
Minter Baptist Church
The Ann Grove Missionary Baptist Church, which had been organized on August 7, 1915, with three founding members, W.E. Harville, J.T. Smith, and H.C. Floyd, moved to Minter on August 5, 1923, and changed its name to Minter Missionary Baptist Church of Christ. The first church was build of wood and had four Sunday school rooms and an auditorium.
Montrose Baptist Church
Due to a previous announcement circulated about the community, a small group of people in the school building in Montrose on Monday night, December 12, 1910, when the moderator of the Ebenezer Baptist Association, Rev. T. Bright of Dublin, preached. The night was cold and disagreeable, so the service was short. After the sermon, those present with letters of dismissal from other Baptist churches requested that they be allowed to organize a church; they were from Laurens Hill Baptist Church and were Dr. J.M. Wall, Mr. and Mrs. B.K. Holder, Mrs. O.J. Pierce, Mrs. T.B. Melton, and R.B. Simmons. Fred Pope presented himself for membership upon receipt of his letter. On December 18, 1910, the first meeting of the new church was held in the school building.
Mt. Carmel Baptist Church
Find Them Online
On March 15, 1857, a covenant was signed by fifteen persons to organize a church. They were examined by Rev. Larry Hobbs, Rev. William J. Baker, and Rev. Richard Smith. They were Sarah and Hardy Alligood, Mary Ann and James Shepard, Nancy and James R. Witherington, Susan C. and James Hill, Harriet and Benny Hobbs, Easter, Anna, and R.T. Grimsley, and Amanda Fountain. At the next meeting, Hardy Alligood was elected the first deacon, James Shepard, the first clerk, and Rev. Hobbs, the first pastor. The first building was about a mile south of Dexter, and then in 1916 a new site was selected about two miles south of the church, across the road from the nameless school. A tornado in 1929 destroyed this one, and a new structure was built.
Mt. Zion Baptist Church
New Bethel Baptist Church
Find Them Online
On October 23, 1895, Lees Church was constituted with a presbytery consisting of James T. Smith, moderator; J.H. Yopp, secretary; and D.E. Green. Nine persons took part in the organization; H.M. Burch, H.C. Lee, J.Y. Lee, Benjamin Maddox, Jasper Smith, John Perdue, Amarinthia Burch, Columbia Lee, and Annie Parker. The first services were held in Lee's Schoolhouse, which is the site of the present building. In 1902 the name was changed to New Bethel. A frame building was built near the school, but, in 1929, it burned and another was constructed. When the Laurens County School System consolidated its schools, New Bethel Church purchased the New Bethel School building, tore it down, and built a new church on the site.
New Direction Baptist Church
401 East Moore St.
Dublin, GA 31021
Find Them Online