Oakdale Baptist Church to Popular Springs South Baptist Church
Oakdale Baptist Church
The Oak Dale Baptist Church was began in 1908 in the Oak Dale School. When the school building was moved to Cedar Grove in 1913, the first church building was erected. The first pastors were Rev. Hobbs, Rev. Bright, and Rev. T.J. Pritchett. Charter members were Mr. and Mrs. Green Faulk, Mr. and Mrs. Bob Massey, Mr. and Mrs. Daniel Heath, and Mr. and Mrs. A.L. Clark.
Oconee Baptist Church
Olivet Baptist Church
In the little Harville School house, about five miles south of Dublin on the Glenwood Hwy. a Sunday school was started in 1894 and continued to meet until 1902 when eleven brethren and sixteen sisters met there to constitute a church. Mr. J.R. Daniel was appointed by the chairman, Rev. B.G. Smith, to secure letters from Blue Water, the mother church, and from the First Baptist Church in Dublin of members desiring to join them. A month later, on August 10, the church was organized with the following charter members; Mr. D.J. Clark, Mr. T.M. Clark, Mr. Wiley Lock, Mr. J.R. Daniel, Mr. W.C. Daniel, Mr. B.F. Cochran, Mr. H.B. Donaldson, Mr. Y.L. Woodard, Mr. Steve Fennell, Mr. Olan W. Spivey, Mr. W.J.A. Fuqua, Mrs. H.W. Fuqua, Mr. Addison Fuqua, Mrs. Frances Clark, Mrs. Lena Clark, Mrs. Eva Clark, Mrs. Evie Clark, Mrs. Winnie Clark, Mrs. Frances Woodard, Mrs. Georgia Woodard, Mrs. Lollie Woodard, Mrs. Mettie Woodard, Mrs. Emma N. Daniel, Mrs. Ophelia Daniel, Mrs. Mattie Fuqua, Mrs. Lizzie Register, Mrs. Sarah E. Donaldson, Mrs. Ivey Harville, Mrs. Tillie Harville, and Mrs. Lavada Spivey.
Orianna Baptist Church
Pleasant Hill Baptist Church
Originally located on the banks of Alligator Creek, Pleasant Hill Baptist Church was Alligator Creek Baptist Church. The beginning of the church is not known, but in 1912, with about 35 members, it was decided to move the church about five miles southwest of Cadwell and to re-name it Pleasant Hill. A sanctuary was built with three Sunday school rooms. A large balcony area was added in the 1930's, but in 1952 the structure was torn down, and many of the materials from the building were used in erecting a new church.
Pleasant Springs Baptist Church
Pleasant Springs was constituted in 1870 in the Johnson community of Oconee district, and the first building was located on the John A. Johnson place, near the spring which game it its name. The second house was erected about a half mile away on land belonging to James A. Johnson, Sr. Then in 1941 it was torn down and another building was constructed with the same materials. This third building had one room and would seat 100 people. The fourth structure, of brick, was built and dedicated on October 1954.
Find Them Online
Poplar Springs North Baptist Church
Poplar Springs North Baptist Church is oldest Baptist church in Laurens County; in fact, it is older than Laurens County. Its minutes date from August 1, 1807, and Laurens County was not constituted until December 10, 1807. It is the mother church of First Baptist Church of Dublin, Oconee, Bethsaida, Marie, and Centerville in Laurens County and several in Wilkinson County. Charter members are Ann Albritton, Matthew Albritton, Rev. John Albritton, Richard Albritton, Margaret Albritton, George Blair, John Bowen, Mrs. John Bowen, Mary Culpepper, John Gilbert, Edith Gilbert, Elizabeth Gilbert, Sarah Gilbert, Jonathon Kent, Elizabeth Kent, Amos Love, John Manning, Mary Manning, Mary (a colored woman), Eleanor O_neal, Richard Painter, Jesse Pollack, Jesse Stephens, Elijah Thompson, Mrs. Elijah Thompson, Josiah Warren, Nancy Warren, David Watson, Sarah Watson, Joseph Yarbrough, and Elizabeth Yarborough.
Poplar Springs South Baptist Church
This church was established in 1886 and was a member of the Daniel Baptist Association, located in Vidalia, but when the Laurens County Baptist Association was established in 1911, it was received into with the name Poplar Springs South Baptist Church to distinguish it from the Poplar Springs Baptist Church north of Dublin. The church was first located by the spring, and it is believed that it burned but that another one was constructed at the same place. Later it was demolished and moved closer to the road. Records detail the pastors who have served the church since the later 1890's.