Rentz Baptist Church - White Springs Baptist Church
Rentz Baptist Church
Before the town of Rentz was incorporated, August 21, 1905, the Baptists had organized a church, June 28, 1905. This meeting took place in the home of L.G. Knight with fourteen charter members; Mr. and Mrs. B.O. Rodgers, Mr. and Mrs. L.G. Knight, Mr. and Mrs. G.M. Knight, Mrs. John T. Rodgers, G.W. Knight, D.J. Knight, Mr. and Mrs. W.F. Cooper, and Mrs. George Coleman. For a short time, the church met in a brush arbor, but then met in the Methodist church until the first building was completed in 1906. The first pastor was J.T. Smith, and the first clerk was A.W. Couey.
Find Them Online
Rock Springs Baptist Church
The Rock Springs Baptist Church was organized in 1848 with ten members. Assisting in the presbytery were D. Joiner from Blue Water Baptist Church and Rev. L.B. Lee. There were ten charter members; Joseph Porter, Jeremiah Snellgrove, Seborn Bracewell, Sampson Bracewell, Hiram Kinchen, Mary Porter, Roxy Bracewell, Jane Dixon, Elizabeth Kenchen, and Ridley Bracewell. The first two buildings were made of logs, the first located on a hill near the present church site and the second near Rock Springs. The present building is a fine brick structure.
Shady Grove Baptist Church
Since its beginning on May 29, 1858, Shady Grove has had clerks who have proudly maintained its records, the first being Lewis Watson in 1858 and James Chipley in 1859. The Presbytery consisted of Washington Spell, Isaac Smith and Chipley. Charter members were Lewis Watson, Martha Watson, Charity Watson, Orpha Watson, Sarah Watson, Milly Watson, Eliza Spell, and Washinton Spell. Seven more were admitted in August of that year: Y.B. Keen, Melvina Manson Keen, Samson Spell, Martha Spell, Annis Elizabeth Smith, Sarah Elizabeth Spell, and Rachel Francis Spell. The first building was on Bruton Creek, construction being started in October 1858. In 1882 a new house of worship was built at the same place.
Find Them Online
Snow Hill Baptist Church
Snow Hill Baptist Church was established in 1871 with services in the log school house near where the present church stands. The leading spirit in the establishment of the church was teacher in the school, Rev. Tolbert Kinchin, and baptisms were held in the Kinchin Limesink, but later in the Bedingfield pond. Soon the membership felt it expedient to construct its own building for worship, and a small log cabin was built near the school house on land given by W.A. Bedingfield. The church has been the mother church of several others in the county: Baker, Mt. Zion, Rentz, Cadwell and Pleasant Hill.
Union Baptist Church
Union Springs Baptist Church
Union Springs Baptist Church, located off of Scotland Road near Alamo, GA, was organized in 1905.
Wellspring Baptist Church
On July 11, 1984, Saxon Heights Baptist Church became Springdale Baptist Church. In the latter part of the 70's it had become apparent that the church needed to relocate and in February 1982 five acres of land on Springdale Road was given by the Brantley Estate. The property of Pine and Smith streets was then sold. Services at the new church began on March 3, 1985, with dedication the next month. For more than 30 years the church had reflected the concern of the mother church, Jefferson Street Baptist Church, which had sponsored it, first by the Mossbacks men's Bible class. A Sunday school begun by the class led to a mission and then to the constitution of a church with sixty charter members on November 29, 1953. In April 2022 Springdale Baptist Church became Wellspring Baptist Church.
White Springs Baptist Church
White Springs Baptist Church began with two churches in Montgomery County, Pleasant Spring and Midway, which decided by a unanimous vote on January 1, 1882, to consolidate and form a new church to be known as White Springs. The pastor of Midway was W.L. Geiger, and the pastor of Pleasant Springs was D. Seiglar. There were 51 members, and it was decided to use the building at Pleasant Spring until a new one could be erected. A log cabin was built, but soon a larger building had to be constructed. John White gave two acres of land for the building; John Coleman and Hardy Couey planed the logs, which were cut and hauled to the sawmill by ox cart. The first shingle on the roof was nailed on by J.T. Roberson, Sr. Members come on foot or on horseback to work on the building. The sills were one piece of wood each, hewed by hand. The rocks under the building were hauled from the White Water Creek. On January 6, 1894, the old building was given to the school, and the new building was dedicated on February 4, 1894.
Find Them Online